Monday, July 23, 2007

Warning Lights


This is the car we expect to drive across the country (the dog is vacationing elsewhere). That’s our hope, anyway. However, yet again, the car I seem to love seems not to love me back. Or it does love me, but is in one of those downward spirals a loved one sometimes finds him or herself in. Because love my car or hate my car, I am a little tired of warning lights glowing on my dashboard.

Last month, before the big trip to the Outer Banks, we dealt with a frustrating engine coolant warning light. It was basically a faulty coolant sensor, but the problem wasn’t solved until we’d had it to the dealer twice. Then the light came on before we were ready to head back home from Nags Head. Once again, and following another stop at Lovering Volvo in Nashua, New Hampshire, a faulty sensor was found to be the culprit.

What does the ETS (Electronic Throttle System) warning light mean? We’ll find out tomorrow. Or Wednesday. Or Thursday. The dealer couldn’t get me in before Thursday, but said if I dropped it off sooner, they might be able to squeeze it in. Yippee.
Am I supposed to have some sort of confidence in this vehicle? When I get to Kansas will I be looking for a new transportation option? I sense some drama unfolding. Perhaps even a wee bit of suspense for you, dear reader.

Anyone out there have a loaner for a three-week drive across the U.S.A. with three young kids?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get a good travel insurance mate and some "sick" bags:) Cannot wait to follow your adventures. Will be on a Thai island myself mid August for 2 weeks. Bon voyage!
xxx